Re: [SQL] ' escape

От Herouth Maoz
Тема Re: [SQL] ' escape
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
At 17:31 +0200 on 7/12/98, Fabio Mancinelli wrote:

> I have a question. When I create a table I cannot use any escape to put a
> ' character in the default field definition.
>
> CREATE TABLE Test (name varchar(128) default 'Something with '' into');
>
> Fails. I've tried also other alternatives :
> default "Something with ' into"
> default "Something with '' into"
> default 'Something with \' into'
> default 'Something with \27 into'
> default 'Something with \0x27 into'
>
> Everything fails.

Interesting bug.

As a workaround, if you really need that default value, define a simple SQL
function which returns it:

testing=> CREATE FUNCTION specialValue() RETURNS varchar
testing-> AS 'SELECT ''a value with '''' in it''::varchar'
testing-> LANGUAGE 'sql';
CREATE
testing=> SELECT specialValue();
specialvalue
--------------------
a value with ' in it
(1 row)

Now define your table. Here is an example:

testing=> CREATE TABLE test6 (
testing->   id int,
testing->   name varchar(128) DEFAULT specialValue()
testing-> );
CREATE
testing=> INSERT INTO test6 (id) values (1);
INSERT 932640 1
testing=> SELECT * FROM test6;
id|name
 1|a value with ' in it